New Ruger 9mm carbine!

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

New Ruger 9mm carbine!

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:45 am

Ruger has a new 9mm carbine out and it looks really sweet. This is similar, but not the same as the old Police Carbine. It is a takedown model and can use Ruger or Glock mags. My local guy has them on order, hopefully I can put one in layaway jail as soon as they show up. I'm pretty stoked about it. I have wanted a 9mm carbine for a long time but didn't want an AR, nor did I want to have another type of mag to keep in stock. I already have lots of Glock mags and I'm set up to cast and reload 9mm so I'm ready for it!

"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: New Ruger 9mm carbine!

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:44 pm

I love it and I think they'll sell a boatload of those guns. Aftermarket companies like Magpul will probably spend the money to develop stocks for it if the guns sell well. Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore online was doing a pre-order of them last week for $519 free shipping and I think they filled all their pre-orders. That's the only real concrete price I've seen on them so far.

Apparently the Ruger SR-9, 9e, and Security 9 all use the same magazine, which also fits into this gun. The gun comes with an adapter to allow the user to put in Glock mags. This would be a perfect opportunity for the aftermarket to step in and make adapters for other popular 9mm handgun magazines like the Beretta 92/M9 or the S&W M&P 9mm.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:25 pm

would have been nice if they offered a version to take P series mags. The original PC9 was a sweetheart and they go for big money now along with the Marlin Camp 9. Probably skip this one as I have not been a huge fan of ruger since they dropped the bombproof p series guns.

Maybe PC9 carbines will get cheaper.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 pm

For me it makes total sense to get the Ruger as I am already well stocked on Glock 9mm mags. The regular sporter stock is more comfortable to me also.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:03 pm

it looks ok. I am not big on the take down gimmick. I wish Ruger would have been smart and made it a 10mm because it would take the whole idea to another level.

If its a cheapened up PC9 with all kinds of corners cut I wont be interested. I want to get a good look at the internals. Ruger puts out so much junk now they are like taurus. New models every year or so while discontinuing old models instead of fixing them. Hard for me to trust them anymore. The american 9mm pistol is well built but they dont seem to be doing much with it. One of those was on my short list but the shopruger sight has not had parts for sale on it yet.

at least its not another AR of some sort with rails covering every inch.

I do like that new bolt action shorty they have in 7.62x39.
David Vincent

Postby Flowmaster » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I watched a review of the new 9mm carbine on youtube and the guy took the gun apart. The bolt face is removable for cleaning which leads some people to think they may be offering the gun in different calibers. It would make sense from a manufacturing standpoint to make one bolt and a few different bolt faces for different calibers. So there may be hope for that gun coming out in other calibers in the future.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm

If it can handle +p+ buffalo bore It would be interesting to see the ballistics. Maybe get close to 357 mid range power.

never know if its successful maybe it will open up an aftermarket for stronger springs, mag adapters for other guns... even barrels. Could end up being another 10/22! Its all going to depend on how much abuse they can take IMO. If ruger goes cheap on these and cuts corners too much it will fail. If its robust and tank like (as was the ruger of old) it will be very popular. Lately ruger has been a major dissapointment to me though even though the P series guns are in my top 5 for best guns ever made. The new offerings just have not been anywhere close to the same level as rugers from the 80s and 90s.
David Vincent

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm still planning to get one of these, just haven't had the cash. Heck, it was a bit of a stretch to plunk down $40.00 to layaway a used Kel-Tec on Saturday.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Other firearms not listed