The Official Knife Thread

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

The Official Knife Thread

Postby JupiterPaladin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:21 pm

OK so we don't have a place for non-gun, non-news stuff, so this will have to do. In my younger days I bought a few knives, then took a break for a decade or more, and recently bought a few more. I wouldn't say a good collection or anything, but likely more than I need. After deciding that the ones I have are great and all, I wanted a larger survival knife that I'd be willing to use heavily, so obviously as you all know my chronic cheapness points me to look for a good deal. Who wants to cut carpet or tree branches with a $500 Benchmade Bowie? Not me! I did a lot of searching on steel grades and budget blades and was not surprised to find there are knife snobs too!

So what did I learn? My Smith & Wesson knife I love so much is total garbage although it holds a good sharp edge and lock up nicely, steel grade makes little difference because one manufacturer's version of 440A stainless steel has little in common with a different manufacturer's 440A, and that I should just suck it up and buy a $100 Spyderco for an ECD pocket knife!

In all seriousness, what brands and styles of knives do you guys like? I'm partial to Buck and Ka-Bar but I'm too broke to buy the good stuff. I would love a Buck 119 (the black & silver 6" clip point blade) and a Ka-Bar USMC bowie. I did buy a Frost Cutlery double bladed dagger (similar to a V-42 Devil's Brigade stiletto but 1" longer overall) that I thought would look nice but make a good everyday tool, but the cutting edge starts nearly 2" above the hand guard and in practical use it's kind of a pain because it requires a little more force. I found this one I think looks decent, but for the super bargain price will have no problem using the crap out of it and sharpening repeatedly until there's not much left!

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... &Cart=true

Any experience with Frost Cutlery? Is this a deal or is it total crap and just a way to throw away money? I don't really know personally I have the Frost dagger which I messed up using an imperfect stone and now I need a new one. I also have a Frost pocket knife, just a small classic 3" lock-back, and it's pretty nice. So what kinds/brands/styles of knives do you all like?
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Re: The Knife Thread

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 pm

The only knives I have truly had good luck with are Boker and Case. Great quality, very easy to resharpen, and hold an edge for quite awhile. The Argentine made Bokers are a great value, my favorite hunting knife is one of these. Frost used to be a good value brand but every thing I have seen from them lately is junk.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby LCPfraTN » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 pm

I don't have a lot of knives, but I have a few Case and Buck knives and like them. I always wanted a Ka-Bar USMC knife and finally got one for Chrsitmas a few years ago even though I'll likely never use it. If you ever do decide to get a custom knife made, I can highly recommend Bob Cumming. I had him make me a small hunting knife when he was just getting into his hobby over 30 years ago when we were both working at the US Embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark. His website is below.

http://cummingknives.com/
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby american lockpicker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Theres 2 Frosts one is Swedish the other is some Yank shit tier brand.

I usually stick to the Euro knives(no real shocker there lol.) Victorinox, Wenger, Mora, Marttiini, various Sheffield brands, etc. For Yank knives I used to like Schrade, Case, Buck, Leatherman, Sog, and Ontario(of course they had to be USA made.) :D

BTW I like good knives but I think anything over ~$200 is pointless. A knive is a tool thats meant to be used so why buy something so costly it never is gonna get used?
Jag hatar skjutvapen kontroll

When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. - Nelson Mandela
american lockpicker

Postby Admin » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm

I love COLD STEEL and Gerber.
We use a Gerber multi-tool all of the time at work. LOL! So mush for our "No knives" policy.
I've never had the cash for any of the highend stuff.
Scott Cook makes his knives in Meridian Idaho. He ships them out of my office to all over the world. He's really a cool guy.
http://www.scottcookknives.com/
My wife used to babysit Jeff Fellhoelter. He won Best New Maker of the year back in 07. I always thought he was a crazy little F. ;)
http://fellhoelter.com/
Mr SNS
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:50 pm

Oh, also the USA or Japan made Kershaw are really good too. I once owned alot of USA made Gerbers. Nice knives but I never could resharpen them with a darn so I gave up. Finally, I do have a Browning folding hunter that is really good too. It's made in Japan and super sharp. I guess the real test will come when it finally dulls to see if it will resharpen easily or not.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby american lockpicker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Japanese knives(especially Seki City ones) are some of the best knives in the world.

When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. - Nelson Mandela
american lockpicker

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Yep, they go well with Miroku made Brownings and Winchesters.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby american lockpicker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:13 pm

I once had a Miroku revolver when I was in high school.

american lockpicker

Postby David Vincent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:05 am

I like old hickory kitchen knifes. They are cheap and use good steel. For pocket knives...whatever works. I carry one my grandpa gave me when I was a kid. I do like a lot of these new high quality knives but its hard to drop a $100 on a knife when you can buy a gun for the same price. When I was younger I used to make crude work knives from old files, saw blades, lawnmower blades etc.....they worked. I made throwing knives from old butter knives with thick blades...they worked too. They just dont stay real sharp.
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Next

Return to Other firearms not listed