The Official Knife Thread

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: The Official Knife Thread

Postby Stik » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks. I'll check that out.
Stik
Hardcore

Postby JupiterPaladin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 pm

American pickpocket - I agree on the Seki City Japan blades. VG-10 is phenomenal. I ended up with 4 Spydercos. An Endura, 2 Delicas, and a Tenacious. I always pack a Spyderco and something else, normally a small traditional slip joint to use if sensitive snowflakes are present.

FergusonTO35 - I remember you mentioning looking at new Case knives then later like 2 years you mentioned carrying them. Are they holding up well?

Stik - Did you end up getting a fixed blade?

Jeffchance - The USMC Kabar is a classic. I ended up with an Ontario SP6-95 which is a similar but larger blade. It is a sexy beast!

I remember the old Camillus New York being mentioned. I got a #51 Barlow and it is a superior blade to most I've used under $70. They used really great carbon steels!

Honestly, the absolute best option is to get on eBay or hit the flea market and grab a vintage Barlow or other traditional knife for under $5. They are made in the USA and excellent carbon steel. They are also easy to sharpen. I've picked up about a dozen so far for as low as $2 and maybe an hour of time to clean them up and sharpen. They'll all outlast me.

That being said, I still have some more expensive stuff, though I think $70 is the upper limit. I used to think go cheap on a knife and if you want to spend $200 get a gun instead. Now I see that a knife that expensive can be a good buy if you get enjoyment from it. Much like a RIA 1911 is like a $30 knife, more functional less fancy, yet some people go for a $3000 Nighthawk Custom 1911 anyway.

For me I'm still looking for the best bang for the buck, so if I can get an S35VN super steel for $150 then I won't consider paying more, so that's probably my upper limit. I am looking at maybe a used Paramilitary 2 if I can score it for $80 :)
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby 84minieldo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Damn Jupiter u must be lovin all the terrorist crap in (edit:Europe removed its here too)...I enjoy naming the sns I see on cops, u've probly got ur work out for u each time a "bearded attacker" or "knife wielding suspect" slices someone up in the name of the religion of peace and u see knives laying next to the "suspect" who is "gunned down" by police...
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:48 am

Yep, been carrying the same Case folder for like three years now. The factory name is Caliber and this knife is as basic as it gets. About 3" long folded, plastic grip, blade around 2-3/8". I use it everyday,have resharpened it probably 40 times, and the blade still doesn't show that much wear. You can buy them for like $14.00 on Fleabay, I need to go ahead and get a bunch of them so I am set for life. Make no mistake, it is a Case knife and certainly performs like one.

"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

My Favorite knife

Postby Papa G » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I have loved this type of knife, since my Imperial Camp King when I was a kid, Basically the same design wise. I have a number of the military versions.

My current EDC knife is the same design made by Colonial Knife Company afaik the original creator. Excellent quality, no complaints about it either! :D

https://www.colonialknifecorp.com/colle ... knife-2205
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby FarmallB » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Over the years, I've slowly collected a few knives that I've loved. I generally won't spend more than $20 for a pocket knife, just because of the loss factor, however I love the more expensive ones.

I'm a sucker for a pocket knife that is an old American made or German made brand, has brass ends and has a wood handle. Over the years, I've searched the gun shows, zbay, and the occasional estate sale. Occasionally, I'll find a good daily carry, and now I have about 15 daily carries! I just have to rotate my stock as my mood allows.

I guess when it comes to knives (and guns) I love ones that look like our grandads would have carried them. Just traditional good looks for me.

Recently I rediscovered quality carbon steel kitchen knives. I bought a few months back a 10" Ontario basic kitchen meat cutter knife. I don't remenber the name or model number, but it is one of their basic knives they have carried forever. It holds a sharp edge, it has a walnut handle and I love how it slices meat! Plus it was only $11! What's not to love!
FarmallB
Hardcore

Postby JupiterPaladin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:50 pm

What's funny is over a year ago I was wishing for a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 for like $80. I did end up getting one for $72 then bought digital camo scales for $23 but it was worth every penny. Still holding a lot of the same opinions as I had before though. I still go bang for the buck. Speaking of Buck, my local Walmart has the Iconic Buck 110 for $28. Doesn't get more classic than that. I believe you can even send it in to have a CPM-S30V super steel blade swap. That's a solid American made heirloom knife right there!
A thing I discovered is the joy of a real Swiss Army Knife. Any cheap copies might sour your taste to the style but it's hard to describe how nice the real ones are. I've gotten a dozen on eBay gently used in lots of 3-4 ending up under $6 each. Then I keep passing them out to everyone I know then buying more. My wife keeps asking why I buy so many, and all I can say is to replenish my stock!
Don't know that I had much of a point but I wanted to drop in and see how y'all are doing ;)
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:58 am

Hey Jupiter, Good to see you! It was interesting reading your comments about real "Swiss Army" knives. My first pocketknife was a Victorinox Spartan that my father gave me when I was 11 or 12. I had it for a quarter-century and "lost" it while working in a factory... I replaced it but the sentimental value can never be replaced. Wenger was the other company that manufactured official Swiss Army knives; they were acquired by Victorinox in 2005.
The imitation 'swiss army' knives really do a disservice to the Swiss Army name. Glad you're spreading the real thing!
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby JupiterPaladin » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:46 am

Hey Adam it's been a while but I always find my way back! It's sad to hear you lost that SAK that held such emotional importance :( While I understand it wouldn't be the same, I have a really nice shape Victorinox Tinker (same as the Spartan except swap the corkscrew for a Phillips driver) that I would be more than happy to send to you. Shoot me an email with a shipping address to mkerns98 at yahoo dot com and I'll get it out this weekend ;)
I plan to put together another posting with a better understanding buyer's guide type in case it would be helpful to anyone.
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby adam01364 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:08 pm

Jupiter, that's a very kind offer, thank you!
I'll look forward to seeing the buyers guide- great idea!
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Other firearms not listed