The Official Knife Thread

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: The Official Knife Thread

Postby nwmousegunner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:47 am

As a hobbist in knife making and possesing a small collection of comerical models, I would like to chime in. I agree with the comments already made, especialy, you get what you pay for. Buck, Boker, Case all make good knives. I am not sure the quality is as good as it was thirty years ago, when I first became interested in high quality hunting and fighting knives. Back then a Buck pathfinder was 25.00 dollars. That was a lot of money for a knife. I still have one I recieved in 1968. I got it for a college graduation present. Once you get a blade sharpened it is not to difficult to keep it that way, just don't let it get to dull before you sharpen it. I enjoy this forum and think a knife thread is a good addition. Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:04 am

Welcome Dave. What kind of a sharpening setup would you recommend for someone who can't use a whetstone freehand? Everytime I try to sharpen with one I just make it worse!!
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 am

FergusonTO35 wrote:Welcome Dave. What kind of a sharpening setup would you recommend for someone who can't use a whetstone freehand? Everytime I try to sharpen with one I just make it worse!!

Me to.
Mr. SNS
If they don't trust us with guns, how can we trust them with the government?

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen". Samuel Adams,
Admin
Site Admin

Postby nwmousegunner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 am

I do all of mine free hand, but I have a pretty good eye and feel for angles. Fifty years of practice also helps. I remember seeing devices that clamped on the blade to give you the proper angle. I think Buck use to reccomend 20 degrees. I'm sorry I can't remember the name. If you can find a Smoky Mountain Knife catalog or go online I would bet you can find something. I use and old tri hone made by Smith for maintaining an edge and a carborundum two sided whet rock for new edge building. Hope this helps youall as this forum has always beeen helpful to me. Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:17 am

Thanks. I have one of the clamp on setups but it doesn't work on smaller blades.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby JupiterPaladin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:53 pm

After considering your input, I've really been looking at a lot of different things that I hadn't thought of before, and noticed something interesting. Guns and ammo are selling at record speed, and knives are too! Hunting knives, bowie knives, and pretty much anything that could be used in hunting or fighting. Looks like more and more people are inadvertently "prepping". I've even noticed a lot of throwing knives and swords selling out!
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby american lockpicker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:10 am

JupiterPaladin wrote:I've even noticed a lot of throwing knives and swords selling out!

Those are virtually useless.

People should get these kinds of knives. They are far more useful and can be used to aquire better weapons in bad situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Mako-Set-2-Polyme ... B004O6IL16

Having had plastic knives before I can say the tip of the blade needs reshaped but thats easy to do.
Jag hatar skjutvapen kontroll

When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw. - Nelson Mandela
american lockpicker
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby adam01364 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm surprised that Farmkid hasn't posted pictures here of that gorgeous knife that was custom made for him. It's really unique and quite special.
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby LCPfraTN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

+1 on that. I had forgotten all about that. That is a very nice knife. Let's see the pics again Farmkid!
LCPfraTN
700+ Rounds Club. Official Forum Gun Nut

Postby Two Guns » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:36 pm

I have a lot of knives and have collected off and on for 40 years.
I have topend knives and cheap knives.
Of all the knives I have I think the Kershaw knives made in the USA are the best bargin.
I also like the older Cold Steel knives made in Japan.
My favorite knife is a Kershaw Piston and they sell for about $60.
Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!
Two Guns
Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Other firearms not listed