The Official Knife Thread

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: The Official Knife Thread

Postby jeffchance » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 am

My opinion of the "best" :D
http://www.grunt.com/usmc-american-legend-ka-bar

Semper Fi
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby nwmousegunner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:42 pm

Jeff I generally don't argue with opinions. Knife choice to me is like ones choice in guns, it depends on what you are using it to do. I have different favorites for wood carving, cleaning small game, skinning fur animals, field dressing deer and subsequently rendering it to table fare. I have been making my own for several years and my favorites may not suit you. That being said I have had the opportunity to use the original Ka-bars that you refer to. My Dad refers to his as a navy knife, he used it for a hunting knife until he quit hunting. He bought his in an army-navy surplus store about 1950. His two cousins who served in the Navy in WWII had three or four that used for anything they needed on the farm. They told me theirs were issued to them while they were in the Navy. I agree that the WWII issue is of good quality. I have not used a current model Ka-bar so I am not qualified to comment on them. Different opinions are what makes a horse race. Fraternally Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Postby JupiterPaladin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:12 pm

OK guys, so after all this time I got the knife bug again. It started when I noticed that my beautiful S&W EDC knife had rust forming on the liners under the grip scales. Of course I tore it apart to clean up the rust, and despite my best efforts I lost one of the liner screws and stripped 2 others. I was able to determine the size I needed (3-56 x 1/8") and got some new stainless hardware. I started looking for a new blade before finding the hardware I needed, and learned a lot of stuff I would like to share with you all. I did get the S&W back together, but I am wondering if anybody knows if I can cerakote my liners to prevent rust? I would love to get a gold color, or something bright to liven it up a little and keep the rust away.

I would like to put this right up front: I prefer American made products, especially for knives and other steel items. If I had a ton of disposable income, I would be supporting the 100% American made products. The sad reality though is that all of our beloved great American manufacturers are now outsourcing a large portion of their lower end and mid-range offerings to China, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the Phillipines, etc... And many are using foreign steel, which according to my research, there are some really good ones now. As you would/should expect, the manufacturers that are being contracted by our companies are also using the same materials, processes, and quality control measures to release knives with their own name on them. I have put together a list here of these partnerships, and will have a few budget models to suggest that I personally like. Think of these as he SNS of knives!

SANRENMU - produces knives for Spyderco, Gerber, SOG, Kershaw
This company uses the excellent materials and turns out clones of custom or nearly-custom knives. The most popular model is the Sanrenmu 710 (1st gen) and 7010 (2nd gen) which is based on a Chris Reeves Small Sebenza 21. The real Sebenza uses a S35VN steel which is a newer high quality carbon steel, which is great and all, but it weighs in at a mere $330 plus handle scale choice and whatever other options. I've seen people reporting a $400 investment. Not for me. I'd be afraid to get it dirty! The Sanrenmu 710 is all stainless, even the scales, and using an 8CR13MOV carbon stainless steel (same blade as $50 Spyderco Tenacious minus the thumbhole) and can be gotten online for $12 shipped!

Ganzo - produces some Kabar budget knives including the Dozier series
So these guys take the awesome Kabar 440C stainless steel blades and make clones of other higher end knives from Benchmade and stuff like that. Excellent quality control, great reviews, excellent prices. The ones I like include the Ganzo M717 which is a Benchmade clone ($as low as $15 shipped):
and the Ganzo M727 which is a copy of the Ontario Rat 1 (original using AUS-8 steel equal to 440B and a linerlock) except of course using the 440C as mentioned above and the "borrowed" Axis-Lock a la Benchmade (also as low as $15 shipped):

Ontario Knife Company - Ontario Rat 1 & 2
While not a subcontractor, but a China location for the actual Ontario Knife company. I felt it worthwhile to mention because the Rat 1 & 2 using AUS-8 steel can be had for $20-$27 shipped and are also fantastic blades for the money.

Byrd - owned by Spyderco making the budget line
Similar to Ontario in being an alternate location, but they gave it a new name for the super budget products, presumably to keep the premium name untarnished! Byrd knives are clones of the higher priced Spydercos with different blade steel and handle scales. As far as I can tell they made a whole line of exact clones of their own stuff. The main thing is that they use 8CR13MOV blade steel instead of the S35VN premium steel. If you like the look and thumb-hole style of Spydercos, check them out. Byrd knives start around $16.

Enlan - owned by Boker
I don't have specific examples for Enlan, but I know they are owned by Boker and produce a lot of copycat knives with a twist to make it their own. They use a lot of AUS-8 steel and have a decent price, starting around $18.

* An idea that keeps coming up in the discussions I have read is that people are likely to refuse to consider copycat designs. If you are one of those, I would ask you to consider these points from a logical standpoint:
- A lot of companies borrow designs from each other. I have seen Kabar's design borrowed by everybody and their brother. I have seen the same old Schrade skinner design produced by dozens of manufacturers.
- There are only a handful of usable blade shapes, grip styles, and locking options. There is no reason to refuse one knife because the manufacturer didn't pioneer the liner-lock, or the blade shape. It would be like saying Colt invented the SAA revolver so no other manufacturer should be making them. We would only have half a dozen guns to choose from if that logic were applied!

Kabar Dozier folders and Buck Bantam knives are excellent budget blades, but I'm leary of their design as they both lack steel liners. That just doesn't seem right to me. Obviously this is just my own random thoughts. Take it as you will.
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:06 pm

I carry a Buck or Case lockback every day, the inexpensive plastic handle type. Made in the USA, easy to resharpen, costs under $20.00 to replace. Boker is my favorite brand overall, my main hunting knife is a stag handle model about 7.5" long. It is from their mid-priced line made in Argentina and is an excellent knife for $45.00 or so. I can field dress at least two deer and do other hunting related tasks before it needs a sharpening.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby 84minieldo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:18 pm

I prefer a flat piece of scrap metal about 8 inches long that I scrape against the concrete til one end is sharp,then I tightly wrap and tie the elastic from my underwear around the other end for a handle
84minieldo
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:47 am

Better not let the warden know you have that skill. You might lose your yard time!! :shock:
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Stik » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:59 am

Dammit, now I may have to get another folder! :D

Any thoughts on a cheap but good fixed blade knife (or knives)?
Stik
Hardcore

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Buck has a pretty nice low priced line that comes with rubber handle and plastic sheath. I had one which I used for hunting until I got the aforementioned Boker. I may get another one as a backup.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Stik » Sun May 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Glock knife? Typically when you put the words 'Glock' and 'knife' (or 'Smith & Wesson' and 'knife' for that matter) together, I'm not interested, but I've heard that they're pretty good fixed-blade knives for not a lot of money. Any other recommendations in that price range?
Stik
Hardcore

Postby JupiterPaladin » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Stik - The Glock knife is a cool blade but it depends on your intended use. It's made of spring steel so it can handle tough impacts like chopping and even throwing which they are balanced for! In that price range maybe $30 for a fixed blade I would check out the newer Schrade. They have one in 8cr13mov steel for $23 shipped that gets good reviews.
JupiterPaladin
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo

PreviousNext

Return to Other firearms not listed