Anyone own a Galesi in 22LR? I have questions...

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Anyone own a Galesi in 22LR? I have questions...

Postby adam01364 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:19 am

The slide I have for my Galesi has two holes- one that is dead center in the firing pin channel, and a slightly larger diameter hole that is offset for 22 rimfire. Is this normal? Will a firing pin that is described as "for 22 short" work just as well for 22LR? (I'm thinking it will, but I figured I'd ask anyway) Thanks!
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Anyone own a Galesi in 22LR? I have questions...

Postby jeffchance » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:39 pm

From what I remember of the one and only I had apart, the two holes are normal. I think the center one is for the ejector. May also be there if it uses the same for the .25 cal version.
I would "think" the firing pins would be the same, but, again, just guessing. Numrich has no distinction between short or LR. Just the pin.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:09 am

Hmm, so does the firing pin have two pins on it? (one for the ejector and one as a firing pin?) sorry dumb question...
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:19 pm

Pics I saw on Numrich were one pin protrusion on the assembly. If they use a separate ejector, it would likely be frame mounted similar to the J22.

JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm

jeffchance wrote:... May also be there if it uses the same for the .25 cal version.

My Galesi .25 does not have two holes, so that's probably not it -- unless there was a later EC for simplicity. Mine is from 1955.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:42 pm

Looking more closely at the obscenely complex parts in the aft part of the frame, I think there is a separate ejector that's simply out of place. I was intending on parting out the .22 LR Galesi but now that it's starting to present a challenge I may just have a go at it. :twisted: I picked up some parts that were represented as fitting the RG-.25 but as luck would have it, they're actually for an "AG .25" or Armi Galesi (the "A" was poorly written on the tag and the seller misread it) and there do appear to be some shared parts. The .25 F/P goes right into the channel of the .22 slide; my hunch is the slide was set up to do dual duty and was stamped with the caliber afterwards. Just a WAG on my part...
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:41 pm

Nearly five years have passed and I STILL haven't got this Galesi to function. :oops:
I'd work on it, get frustrated and put it down, and then forget about it. Until last night when I ran across it. :roll:
So I decided I'd better have a look at it to see where I'd left things.

The good news is that all the parts, save for the extractor, grips, and a mag, are in place. I'm not sure if the same magazine was used for .22 short and .22 LR; time will tell on that. But the PITA portion of Galesi reassembly is done; I'm not sure when I did it, perhaps there are gunsmithing elves in my work area?

The bad news is that the slide binds a bit on the frame, and the firing pin binds up in the F/P channel (the pistol will not cock at all). :x

I'll have to tinker with it some more until I get frustrated again... :|
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:32 am

So last night I worked on the binding issues and things are a whole lot better. However, the F/P still gets hung up at the end of the slide. I can easily free it with a brass rod, and by pushing it backward the sear will engage the F/P, and then when I pull the trigger it works. Once.
Well, that's SOME progress. It's been five years up until now, so what's a few more days, weeks, or months ? :lol:

<Edit> ...success! :D I polished the F/P a bit, and it was free floating in the F/P channel on the slide, however the pistol still wouldn't cock.
Holding the slide back and simultaneously pushing the F/P backward just a tad with the brass rod would cock the pistol. Hmm. Solution: I ended up tweaking the F/P just a wee touch and "tweaking" is all I'll say. It touches off .22 short blanks without a problem. It's time to buy the extractor, magazine, and grips so I can take this puppy out to the range! :D
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby nwmousegunner » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:18 pm

To answer your original question I got my two Galesi out to look at them. The .22 has two holes in the slide. The hole in the center is for the ejector, which you can see extend when the slide s fully retracted. The .25 has only the firing pin hole in the center, but it also acts as the ejector. I have mentioned before that my .22 is marked on the slide as .22 caliber. It will shoot shorts or longs with the same magazine. A long rifle will not fit in the magazine. I hope you get yours working,I am having problems with a Sterling .22, after some more tinkering I will start another post on it. Fraternally Dave
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Return to Other firearms not listed