Sig P238, Colt Mustang Pocketlite, or Kimber Micro .380?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Sig P238 or Colt Mustang Pocketlite?

Postby adam01364 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:20 am

Ferg,
Have you looked at the SIG P938? It's just marginally larger than the SIG P238 but 9mm :D
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:58 am

Yes, I have. I agree the 938 is a nice gun but I want to keep it at .380 power level. In any event, we just sold our house and have to find a new one before I can buy any more guns so it will probably be spring when I get one.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Well, a new wrinkle. Went to the fun store today to pay on my layaway and they had a Kimber Micro .380 under the glass. I examined it and the pistol felt really nice. It was just a bit larger than the Kahr CW380 next to it. The price was only $449.00, cheaper than Sig or Colt. Yeah, never thought I'd see the day that Kimber was the best value among similar guns! Anybody have experience with these? Do they use a unique dovetail for the sights? The three dots it comes with seem fine but it's nice to have options. My understanding is that mags and many other parts are interchangeable across these three pistols.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: Sig P238, Colt Mustang Pocketlite, or Kimber Micro .380?

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Hey sorry I didn't get back to this thread. My friend sold it at the gun show over the weekend for $400.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:21 am

That's all good, I can't swing it right now anyway.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:40 pm

Well, Kimber it is. Went to the fun store today planning to ask about the stainless Kimber Micro and they had one under the glass for $500.00 so I layawayed it. The owner said the Micro series has gotten very popular and he sold another one just before I arrived. I still find it amusing that Kimber was the least expensive choice here. Sig would be my preference but it doesn't come without night sights and so costs a lot more. With Colt of course you pay extra for those pretty pony medallions and the front sight is integral to the slide, meaning that it requires mill work if you want to replace it.

I'm surprised at how small these .380 1911's are. The Micro is about the same size as the Ruger LCP II in th case next to it. The Micro grip is slightly longer, the LCP II slide is slightly longer, both are about the same thickness. The Micro slid down into my pocket almost as easily as the standard LCP does, certainly easier than my Glock 42 or S&W 637 do. Looking forward to bailing it out!
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:04 am

Got paid for some work I did last fall and so was able to bail out the little Kimber. I picked up a couple of extra factory 6 round mags too, they are only $21.95 each at the fun store. A Desantis Nemesis pocket holster is supposed to show up in my mailbox today, hopefully I can give it a test drive tomorrow.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:52 pm

Sweet! Congrats
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:41 pm

Thanks. I have no idea when I'll be able to try it out though. We just moved and, while I can still shoot in my backyard thank goodness, all my shooting and reloading stuff other than minimal CCW necessities is packed up and scattered all over. And, it's raining like mad in the Bluegrass. In addition to the Kimber I have some new sights for my Glock 19 and 42 I am itching to try out.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:45 pm

The sun came out today and I was able to take a break from unpacking to test drive the little Kimber. Distance was 18 feet, ammo was some cheapo Maxxtech FMJ (Combloc production, fairly accurate but dirty). I'm pleased to announce it did not disappoint. Function with this dirty ammo was 100% and within a few mags the Micro was shooting almost as well as my Glock 42. I tried a couple mags of Remington FMJ and accuracy was about the same but ejection and recoil were stronger with a small fireball coming out of the muzzle.

The only thing I might change is to go with a solid black rear sight was this would match my Glock 42, which has an OEM white dot front and Ameriglo flat black rear. So far very pleased with this little pistol and look forward to trying my reloads in it.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Other firearms not listed