Sig P238, Colt Mustang Pocketlite, or Kimber Micro .380?

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Re: Sig P238, Colt Mustang Pocketlite, or Kimber Micro .380?

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Shot the Micro some more last weekend and found that I am not used to three dot sights anymore. I shoot my Glock 42 quite well so I think the Kimber needs a similar sight picture. I found a used solid black front and rear sight set on Fleabay and bought it, installed it last night. The dovetails are super tight, the new/used sights required a fair amount of filing to go on. That accomplished, the front dot looks really conspicuous against the plain black rear which I what I like.

Also discovered that the firing pin safety spring is housed under the sight (never had a 1911 before), so I used the opportunity to learn how to disassemble the slide. It is as easy to do as a Glock. Push the firing pin inward with a small punch, which allows the rear cover plate to slide down. Then, the extractor and firing pin can be pulled out from the rear. Then, the firing pin safety and spring will fall out the bottom. Reassembly is simply the reverse. On my pistol, the bottom of the rear cover plate has a bevel where it contacts the hammer, this side should be facing towards the rear.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:57 am

I took the morning off work to run some errands and was able to try out the pistol with the new sights before I left. At 20 feet standing the point of impact is about an inch high which is what I prefer in a carry pistol. The front dot is alot easier to focus on with the plain black rear too. My reloading stuff is still packed up so I am shooting dirty and rather underpowered Maxxtech ammo. Even with this cheapo Serbian ammo the pistol still functions perfectly. Fiocchi FMJ is my carry load in the Micro and the Glock 42.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:33 pm

Pocket carry is my usual mode for the Micro and I bought a Desantis Nemesis with it. The Nemesis listed for the Mustang/Micro/P238 is a rather snug fit and seems print a little more than I like. I tried the Nemesis I use for my Glock 42 and it is a perfect fit. It covers more of the gun and stays upright in the pocket better.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:02 am

The thick grip of the Micro prints more than I like so I got a Desantis Superfly for it. This holster reduces the print to just a generic rectangular object and does a good job of keeping the pistol upright.

Had my first ever malfunction with the Micro last weekend. I was shooting some lead bullet reloads and an empty case wedged itself between the inside of the slide and the next round in the mag. I also had two instances in which the mag seemed to release itself after the last round was fired. Unless this was just a fluke I'm thinking I might have a bad mag here. I marked this mag and next range session I will try a different one with the same ammo to see if it happens again. Otherwise the Micro is still doing great and lots of fun to shoot.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:29 am

I fired the Micro some more yesterday and I think the mag drop problem is caused by my grip shifting when the pistol fires. It is definitely more common when you fire stout ammo such as Fiocchi or warm reloads. The mag release is quite close to the trigger guard, and if I put too much finger on the trigger I think the pistol can shift just enough to cause my finger to bump the mag release. I intentionally fired it with a firm grip and not as much finger on the trigger and the problem did not return yesterday so hopefully that is all it is.

Another thing I find is that the Micro likes ammo on the hot side. The most accurate load I have ever tried is 3.2 grains Bullseye with a 102 grain lead round nose. This is a pretty warm load, a little above the published max in most manuals, and not something you would put in an SNS other than Hi-Point. The Micro makes neat cloverleafs at nearly perfect point of aim with this round, whereas with lesser charges it shoots a bit high with more spread. It also shoots the Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ quite well, which is what I use for carry in this pistol and my Glock 42. I have also put the Wolff 12 pound Colt Mustang recoil spring in the Micro. This spring is one or two pounds stronger than the rather squishy OEM Kimber spring and seems to absorb the impact of stout loads quite well, it also does a much better job of keeping the brass under control.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 am

Shot the Micro some more this weekend and found that the mag release problem disappeared by watching my grip, specifically the placement of my strong side thumb and trigger finger. She is still shooting great, however I think one of my mags is bad. With this particular mag, the last round often jams with the bullet aiming at the top of the chamber and the base of the cartridge pointed down at the mag follower. This is the only one of my mags that does it. I'll probably just send it back to them, they should be willing to give me another one. Looks like Kimber might need some BJJA engineering! :oops:
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Unfortunately, I think the Micro is going back to Yonkers. I am experiencing the mag drop issue and fired round sticking in the chamber at least once every range session. Yesterday I put 25 rounds through it and the mag dropped three times and I had one empty shell stick in the chamber. This is not acceptable in a carry gun, obviously. It could simply have an out of spec mag catch and extractor. Hopefully I will get it back fixed right, as this pistol is accurate and carries great.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:11 am

Now that I think about it more, I wonder if the mag well is a bit wide on this pistol. The mags shift around alot more than other pistols I have, even my Glocks. When it comes back I may try a Colt mag in it to see if that changes anything. I read threads on the Kimber forum where people talk about having to bend the extractor in to get more positive case extraction. Hopefully Kimber will address both problems properly.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Got the Micro back today. They replaced the mag catch, mag catch spring, recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor, and a few other things I don't remember. Everything feels a lot tighter now even compared to when the gun was new. I wonder if Kimber figured out that they had a bad run of small parts at some point and are just replacing them on every gun that comes in? Anyhow, I'm planning to give it some exercise this weekend with factory and reloads. I really, really hope it is fixed right as I love shooting this pistol and it is a joy to carry.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 am

It will be interesting to hear how it runs after factory servicing. I'm assuming everything was covered under warranty?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

PreviousNext

Return to Other firearms not listed