1978 Winchester 94 on the way

Moderators: FergusonTO35, 356, pockets, farmkid, jeffchance, Flowmaster, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

1978 Winchester 94 on the way

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Went to the fun store on Friday and they had a nice Winchester 94 .30-30 on the shelf. It is a straight old school model with no rebounding hammer, manual safety, or angle-eject. Looked to be in excellent, closet fresh condition other than a small chip on the toe of the stock and a few scratches in the wood. The action was tight and the wood to metal gaps were close, something which Winchester lost the ability to do over the years. According to the serial number, this rifle rolled off the line in 1978, the same year I did, so into layaway jail it went.

Looking forward to getting it out and making some noise. Already have a Williams receiver sight and some loads with 28 grains IMR 4895/150 grain lead bullet rolled up for it. Will post pics when I get the chance. Also gonna see if there is any gun equity I can put towards it.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: 1978 Winchester 94 on the way

Postby FergusonTO35 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Thought I should post an update on the 94. Finally got around to shooting it today, darkness and howling winds have been spoiling my rifle shooting for quite awhile now. At 50 yards with 29 grains IMR 4895 under a Lee C309-150-RF lead slug she is shooting just as good as my Marlins. The action is still really tight, I think this rifle sat in a closet for years. Only thing I don't like about it is how tall the ramp mounted front sight is. The ramp is soldered on so it would not be easy to replace. I am using a Williams Foolproof receiver sight that is not actually for the 94 but fits perfectly. Unfortunately it ran out of elevation so the rifle is shooting about two inches low. I think I have an extra Lyman 66 in my little gun junkyard, will see if that takes care of it.
"If magic is to be defined as the use of ineffective means to allay anxiety when effective ones are not available, then we must conclude that no society will ever be completely free from it." -Keith Thomas, Religion and the Decline of Magic, 1971.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:55 am

Its good you have the parts on hand.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FergusonTO35 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:06 am

Yep, been fooling with lever actions most of my life so I usually have spares laying around. Turns out neither the Lyman 66 or Williams 5D would provide enough elevation to use the original front sight. I found a NOS Redfield .260 front with white bead on Fleabay for a reasonable price so I ordered it. Hopefully that takes care of it, otherwise I'll have to shell out cash for the gunsmith to remove the OEM front sight ramp and add a shorter screw-in ramp.
FergusonTO35
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Return to Other firearms not listed