H&R Premier .22 revolver

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

H&R Premier .22 revolver

Postby nwmousegunner » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 pm

I am looking for some help. I recently acquired an H&R pistol made in the late teens or early 20's as a project as it was not functioning properly. That wasn't hard to diagnose as the sear spring was broken. It appears the revolver was originally nickel plated with the right side of the gun being rusty and finish mostly gone. Do any of you have any experience with removal of an old nickel finish. My internet search turned up some chemical methods and manual removal with power tools and sand paper and I have most of the tools, such as drills, wire brushes and even bench grinder and buffing wheels. I would like to remove the old nickel and keep the lettering and names intact, which would be hard to do manually. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Fraternally David Hood
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Re: H&R Premier .22 revolver

Postby Flowmaster » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 am

The guys I know at the gun show that fix up their own guns use this stuff: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tool ... d1102.aspx Beware, it apparently smells terrible. Its a room temperature stuff but should be used in a shed or outside.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: H&R Premier .22 revolver

Postby nwmousegunner » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Thanks for the link. That's more than I want to spend on chemicals. I'll fix the sear spring first before I decide what to do about refinishing.
nwmousegunner
GUN NUT!

Return to Other firearms not listed