There's no topic that really fits this, so here it is.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

There's no topic that really fits this, so here it is.

Postby farmkid » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 pm

What firearms do you regret trading or selling? Or missing a deal on? Me?

1) My first Hipoint C9, a good deal at the time for $100. Not only was it my first firearm, but Mom brought it up to then-current specs. Later, I was on a quest for original HP pistols, and traded it for the metal precursor. I don't regret the acquisition, but wish that I'd bought it rather than traded for it.

2) Worst ever: I bought a Saiga 12 and an HP 995 for $400 out the door about 12 years ago. I later traded the Saiga for a 9mm Cobray and a box of ammo. My IQ dropped 50 points that day.

3) Maybe not so bad, but still: I traded for a fake Mosin sniper (Yes, I knew it was, and the trade reflected that). Now, even fakes trade for a lot more than I traded for, and I let it go at cost.

4) An SKS model M on the last day of the month. Price? $400 on consignment. But because it was on consignment, I couldn't put it on layaway and I'd have to pay it off within a calendar month. Cool: I'll be back Monday. But then a guy came in and bought it within 15 minutes of closing time. Had he been a bit late, I would have paid the down payment the next business day and cleared the rest before the end of the following month. Now I'm still looking for one for hundreds more.

5) A gun show about 10 years ago before I knew much more about Mosins other than to look for matching numbers. Yep: here's a 1905, but it doesn't match. I didn't know to look for SA markings or other evidence of Finn re-arsenaling when _nothing_ matches.

6) And that leads to a some of Mosins a couple of years after: a private collector selling about a dozen of them at a gun show. Yeah, despite prices as low as $100, I didn't know what to look for then either.

7) And my first Mosin: an $85 M38. I sold it because (blush) I thought that it kicked to hard and let it go for about $110. I've since replaced it for well over double that.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: There's no topic that really fits this, so here it is.

Postby Flowmaster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:34 am

The only gun I really regret selling was an EXCAM import Tanfoglio TZ88. It was a CZ-75 style pistol. I bought it at a pawn shop with the wrong Hogue wraparound grips on it for $200 out the door. I shot it and liked it, but then sold it on consignment and made a hundred bucks even after the consignment fees. I think I spent $15 on the correct grips for it.

I had a Ruger Mini 30 that didn't really work and traded it at a gun show for an AK. I thought I did well until I learned about single stack AKs. I later traded that for something, I can't even remember what. It would've been worth a pretty penny in the buying panic of 2012 if I'd held onto it that long. Single stack AKs were bringing 1,500 at the gun show the week after Newtown.

I should've sold all of my 223/5.56 ammo right after Newtown. I didn't know when things would calm down and I would be able to replenish it so I held onto it. I was working a gun show the weekend after it happened and we sold 5,000 rounds of Independence 5.56 AR ammo for a dollar a round. Yep, thousand bucks a case, and we sold it all in a day.
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:28 am

I sold a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 with a Tula hex receiver and complete matching numbers for around $150 about five years ago. :roll: Shoulda kept it.
Other than that- there's nothing I've sold that I regret. I've turned over a number of SNS pistols, but they've been duplicates and in worse shape than the ones I have.

I'm selling Farmkid a Hi-Point 4095 classic and I'll probably regret it. Not really, I've decided to trim the calibers I collect, and 40S&W was never a favorite.

Now if we were talking about guns I could've bought and didn't... :oops: :cry:
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby farmkid » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:58 pm

adam01364 wrote: Not really, I've decided to trim the calibers I collect, and 40S&W was never a favorite.

Nor one of mine, either, but I have a soft spot in my heart for monkey guns and I've always wanted one to keep my original 995 company. And, of course, it can share ammo with my Iberia.
Lifetime member, Second Amendment Foundation
farmkid
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Dave_H » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Well regret isn't the word, exactly. I've gone through two financial jams in the past 12 years, and thus there were a couple of occasions where I made a pragmatic $$$ decision regarding the sale of some firearms. It wasn't like I had great heirlooms that couldn't be replaced. My collection of guns has always been workmanlike.
I mentioned my Star BM in another thread. Surprisingly enough, that is the one I'd take back. Most everything else I sold is either still in production, or in an expensive, odd ball caliber, so not a lot of regrets there.

I figure as I am getting older, l will probably consolidate my gun collection in to specific types and calibers, with an emphasis on practicality, and affordability. And being able to fit all my crap in the back of a pick up truck, in case I go full on Burt Gummer or Jeremiah Johnson when I am an old coot.

Well, older coot than I am now anyway.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Return to Other firearms not listed