Vietnam era surplus Chinese SKS

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

Vietnam era surplus Chinese SKS

Postby Dave_H » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Talked to my regular FFL about getting one of those. Probably the last gasp of surplus SKS we will see, as they are discounted ones with cracked or damaged stocks.
Even so, I'll drink a Sapporo, watch Uncommon Valor, and clean the cosmoline off, wondering if that particular rifle was used in action shooting at my pop when he was winning any of his three Bronze stars. :D
They didn't shoot straight enough, fortunately.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Re: Vietnam era surplus Chinese SKS

Postby Dave_H » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:05 pm

Speaking of the SKS, I wish Mr. Read my lips, and it wouldn't be prudent at this juncture hadn't whipped out the executive order against importing new Chinese SKS carbines back then.
Importing shitloads of inexpensive, reliable, low capacity fixed magazine rifles, that are still quick to reload with stripper clips would have been a boon to the pro 2a community living in places with mag size restrictions and so forth.
Then again the pro control mindset was likely a big part of why that went down.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Postby bumthum » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:17 am

"Vietnam era" is just marketing. These rifles were manufactured during that time frame, but they're coming from the Balkans region (Albania). These are the left overs from the imports that started a while ago that hadn't spent enough time in the "third party" country long enough to by-pass the Chinese import ban. The evidence is the fact that they often have the same sloppy replacement stocks that Albania manufactured and we found mixed in with all of these C&R Chinese SKSs. Occasionally you'll find one with stock carvings, or scratched in slogans, that also confirm the Balkans (sometimes Albania specifically). Based on the time frame, these rifles never had time to go to Vietnam between manufacture and export to Albania. You can buy one and rest assured that these SKSs likely never fired a round at a capitalist, but maybe were used during the very brief Albanian uprising, or the Albanian insurrection in Kosovo. Still great pieces of history and reliable rifles.
bumthum
Hardcore

Postby Dave_H » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:57 am

:lol: Not worried about the actual origin. The Nam thing just let me float a wisecrack on the forum, which is how my mind works.
Dave_H
GUN NUT!

Return to Other firearms not listed