More back work

CURRENT EVENTS.
Post in the CURRENT EVENTS forum should be post about events less then 2 months old. Older historic events should be posted in the CURRENT EVENTS new Historic sub-forum. Clicking on the CURRENT EVENTS header will lead you to both forum.

Moderators: FergusonTO35, jeffchance, Flowmaster, 356, pockets, farmkid, adam01364, martin08, Mr Saturday Night Special

More back work

Postby jeffchance » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Had to go back in to the VA Hospital in Boise this last Monday for more back surgery. This time it was L5 & S1 (I believe) vertebrae needed bone parts removed and roto-rooter the bones around a bunch of nerve passages. Came home on Tuesday but this time recovery could take 2 months or more. Currently can't lift over 5 lb (makes it tough to go P) bend or twist, reach for anything, stand by myself, have to use a walker to get to the pottie and bed. Nadine is a great nurse for me as well as trying to cover the business. Have orders coming in as well as repairs so she is learning the in/out requirements (A&D Book, 4473's, Background checks, etc.) as well as phone and customers. I hope to be able to be out in the shop a little and maybe drive in a couple weeks. See the Dr. again on the 6th, physical theapy, and whatever else. Came out with an 8" incision in lower back this time.

They have me on good pain drugs but must compensate them with laxatives as the drugs get me constipated.

These Golden Years aren't so Golden :evil:

Kudos though, to the doctors and staff at the VA Hospital. We were treated as if I was their only patient and explained to Nadine, thoroughly what was going on as well as what to expect from the surgery. Great bunch of people. Just wish Uncle Sam and myself had treated my body better when I was younger but we all feel bullet-proof when 20-30 years old.

Enough about that.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Re: More back work

Postby Papa G » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Hopes and prayers for a successful recover!

Jeff sez..."Just wish Uncle Sam and myself had treated my body better when I was younger but we all feel bullet-proof when 20-30 years old." Same with me Jeff, I too am sorry I did not take better care of me. Smoking 1 or more packs of cigarettes a day for over 50 years gave me COPD and Emphazima. I was one of those that believed that bad stuff happens to others but not me. Now I am on oxygen 24/7 ! :(
the Founding Fathers...the original T-party extremist's
Papa G
Zamak Hoarding Weirdo FORUM BENEFACTOR

Postby adam01364 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Papa G wrote:Hopes and prayers for a successful recover!
Amen to that!
Back surgery is tough, had a few issues myself and seen some family members deal with it, so you have my sincere sympathies, Jeff!

I've been pretty damn lucky over these 60-some years, had coupla major surgeries but I came out pretty much okay, still take no prescription meds (yet, anyway)
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby Flowmaster » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Yikes that sounds like no fun at all. My dad has a replacement disc and his recovery was similar to yours including no driving for a while.

On the crew team in high school, my coach told me to put the boat on my shoulder, even though I was the tallest guy in the boat. Well, that caused some serious back problems for me. I wound up getting a compression fracture. I was on the edge of getting back surgery about 3 and a half years ago but did the whole physical therapy thing instead. I'm now much better but I'm going to have to have surgery in the next 5 years or so. After reading your post, I'll know what I'm going to be getting myself into!
Flowmaster
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby adam01364 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 am

Jeff, how are you progressing?
Image Image
adam01364
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby jeffchance » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Doing well for 62 years. The incision has healed on the outside and I get to start physical therapy this week.
Going to be at least another 6 weeks before I am declared fit to drive and return to full time work.
This one was a lot more invasive than the previous so understandibly longer healing process.
Thanks for the concern.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby FordMan59 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:57 am

Hope your recovery is going well. I have chronic back pain coming from a construction accident in Jan. 2000. They said no surgery for me, said they couldn't fix mine so I just take muscle relaxers/pain pills and live with the pain they don't relieve. Some days my pain level is fairly low other days it's about all I can stand. Been living with the pain now for 18 years and guess I'll live with it until I die. Over the years I've pretty much learned to do what I can in a day without making the pain worse and let the rest go until another day. That goes directly against the grain of how I was before I got hurt. Before I got hurt I usually worked 50-70 hours a week then came home and put in several more hours per week.
FordMan59
Gunslinger

Postby David Vincent » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:20 pm

do you guys Walk?
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Postby jeffchance » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:46 pm

They say walking is one of the best things I can do however it is wintertime in Idaho and outside can get slick in a hurry. A fall could be catastrophic. :cry:
I do, however, have an indoor route in the house and shop I can do. Our town of 350 population doesn't have any indoor malls or indoor track facilities. :lol:
Physical therapist comes in 2X per week.
I finally got upped to 25 lb lifting and driving limited distances so looks like it will just take some time.
JEFF
01 FFL
Certified Glock Armorer
www.jandnguns.com
SEMPER FI
jeffchance
FORUM BENEFACTOR and MOD

Postby David Vincent » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:00 am

are you overweight?
David Vincent
600+ Rounds Club.Zamak Hoarding Weird++

Next

Return to CURRENT EVENTS. Post in this forum should be post about events less then 2 months old.